Community Rules & Etiquette and Privacy Guidelines
Thank you for being part of our community. To ensure the best possible experience for all members, we have established some basic guidelines for participation.
By joining and using this community, you agree that you have read and will follow these rules and guidelines. You also agree to reserve discussions and shared files and content to that best suited to the medium. This is a great medium with which to solicit the advice of your peers, benefit from their experience, and participate in an ongoing conversation.
Please take a moment to acquaint yourself with these important guidelines. In order to preserve an environment that encourages both civil and fruitful dialogue, we reserve the right to suspend or terminate membership in this community for anyone who violate these rules.
Questions should be directed to our member services department via the Contact Us link on this site.
Discussion Group Etiquette
- Be respectful and considerate of your colleagues in your postings. We encourage and respect healthy disagreements. If you disagree or become upset with someone's response or use of the community, reply to that person directly when appropriate. Focus on the content of posts and not on the people making them. Please extend the benefit of the doubt to newer guests and members; there’s no such thing as a stupid question.
- Always remember that the community contains members of different backgrounds, politics, religions, etc. The community cannot be used for dissemination of religious beliefs, political beliefs or social policy. Violators will have their community access reviewed. Discussion of how these items affect the mission of the organization may be permissible if posted in a socially appropriate manner. If uncertain, contact the CORD office prior to posting.
- Respect the purpose of the community. Use the community to share successes, challenges, constructive feedback, questions, and goals instead of products or services that you provide.
- Communities may not be used for the solicitation, promotion, or sales of commercial products or services unless approved by the board of directors.
- If you’ve found a product or service helpful, please share your experience with the group in a respectful way. Use caution when discussing products. Information posted on the discussion groups and in the libraries is available for all to see, and comments are subject to libel, slander, and antitrust laws.
- All defamatory, abusive, profane, threatening, offensive, or illegal materials are strictly prohibited. Do not post anything that you would not want the world to see or that you would not want anyone to know came from you.
- Respect intellectual property. Post content that you have personally created or have permission to use and have properly attributed to the content creator.
- When posting items in our collaborative environment, please indicate if the item is not available for reuse. It’s also advisable to contact the owner of any material if you would like to reuse it.
- Post your message or documents only to the most appropriate communities. This helps ensure all messages receive the best response by eliminating "noise."
- Communities may not be used for campaign purposes for any office other than those within CORD.
- Communities may not be used to promote or engage in political activities as it is a violation of our 501(c) status.
- Do not use the community for jokes, personal stories unrelated to our mission, or to communicate with individuals. Remember that with people of different backgrounds (including international members), humor often does not transmit well and may inflame your audience.
- Communities are not to be used as personal blogs. There are many free online sites that are designed specifically for posting those random thoughts and ideas and offering others the opportunity to follow those postings. Communities, on the other hand are intended for distributing topic-related information that the members as a group might benefit from sharing.
- State concisely and clearly the topic of your comments in the subject line. This allows members to respond more appropriately to your posting and makes it easier for members to search the archives by subject.
- Send messages such as "thanks for the information" or "me, too" to individuals, not to the entire list. Do this by using the "Reply to Sender" link in every message.
- Do not send administrative messages, such as “remove me from the list,” to the group. Instead, use the web interface to change your settings or to remove yourself from a list. If you are changing email addresses, you do not need to remove yourself from the list and rejoin under your new email address. Simply change your settings.
The Legal Stuff
CORD Web Site Legal Conditions
Council of Emergency Medicine Residency Directors (CORD) maintains and operates this web site for informational and member purposes only. INFORMATION ON THIS SITE MAY INCLUDE OPINIONS AND CORD MAKES NO REPRESENTATION OR WARRANTY THAT THE INFORMATION PRESENTED ON THIS SITE WILL BE TIMELY OR ERROR-FREE. Use of the term "CORD" shall mean the organization, the web site, and organizations we have partnered with to provide services.
Information and Documents By using the CORD web site or downloading documents, materials or information (hereinafter "material") from it, you agree to be bound by the Legal Conditions set forth in this notice. If you do not wish to be bound by these Legal Conditions, leave immediately; do not use and do not download any material from this site.
International Users, Choice of Law and Jurisdiction The CORD web site and the material contained in it shall be deemed to be provided in the State of Michigan in the United States of America, and you agree that the law governing these Legal Conditions or your use of the CORD site shall be the laws of the State of Michigan without regard to any principles of conflicts of law. You further agree that any disputes arising under these Legal Conditions or from your use of the CORD web site shall be submitted exclusively to the courts in the State of Michigan and that you will not assert jurisdiction in any other court or tribunal anywhere in the world. CORD makes no representation that the material at the CORD web site is appropriate or available for use at locations outside of the United States. Access to the materials from territories where the materials are illegal is prohibited.
Third Party Site As a convenience to you, CORD may provide links to web sites operated by other entities but makes no warranty or representation whatsoever about any linked site and does not imply an affiliation or association with any such site. If you visit or use a linked site, you do so at your own risk.
Disclaimers All materials on, distributed through or accessible from the CORD web site are provided "as is" and "as available," without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability, fitness for particular purpose, or non-infringement. Some jurisdictions do not allow the exclusion of implied warranties, so the above exclusion may not apply to you.
CORD does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the materials, including but not limited to the reliability of any advice or statement displayed or distributed through the CORD web site, and your reliance on any such materials, advice, statement or information shall be at your sole risk.
CORD shall not be liable for any damages to your computer equipment, including any damages from viruses that may infect your computer or other property, by virtue of your access to the CORD web site or by your downloading of any materials therefrom.
Limitation of Damages In no event shall CORD be liable for any direct, special, indirect, consequential, punitive or other damages of any kind whatsoever resulting from any cause whatsoever, including but not limited to loss of use, loss of profits, or loss of data, whether in an action under the theories of contract, negligence, or strict liability or otherwise, arising out of or in any way connected with the use of the CORD web site or any materials, information or documents on or accessed through the CORD web site.
Limited License By your acceptance of the Legal Conditions contained herein, you agree not to deep link or frame link to the CORD web site for any purpose without the express written permission of CORD. CORD grants you non-exclusive permission to view, download and copy material provided that (a) all copyright and proprietary notices are retained, (b) use of the material is for informational purposes, and (c) you assume responsibility for obtaining permission for reprinting of Information owned by other identified individuals or entities.
Information Provided by You Subject to membership needs, do not send any confidential or proprietary information to CORD via the CORD web site. You agree that any information you so send will not be considered confidential or proprietary and you grant CORD an unrestricted, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty free license to use, reproduce and distribute any such information.
Changes CORD reserves the right to change these Legal Conditions at any time. Any such changes or modifications will be effective immediately when such changed or modified Legal Conditions are posted on the CORD web site. Your use of the CORD web site after the modified or changed Legal Conditions are posted shall be your acceptance of that modified or changed Legal Conditions. From time to time, you should review the Legal Conditions posted on the CORD site to see the current Legal Conditions.
CORD does not actively monitor the site for inappropriate postings and does not on its own undertake editorial control of postings. However, in the event that any inappropriate posting is brought to the attention of CORD we will take all appropriate action. CORD reserves the right to terminate access to any user who does not abide by these guidelines.
We are committed to the protection of the privacy of our web site users and visitors. Our web site systems do not automatically capture any of your personal information unless you specifically provide this information to us. However, In order to reply to your inquiries, you agree that:
You must provide us with certain contact information such as but not limited to name, address, telephone number and e-mail address. We may use this information to reply to your inquiries. We also may use this information to inform you about new and revised materials on this web site.
With Whom Do We Share the Personal Information We Collect Through This Site:
Our Service Providers
We may share your personal information with companies (including our affiliates) that perform services on our behalf, for example, companies that help process credit card payments. Our service providers are required by contract to protect the confidentiality of the personal information we share with them and to use it only to provide specific services on our behalf.
Government and Legal Disclosures
We may disclose the personal information we collect through this Site, when we, in good faith, believe disclosure is appropriate to comply with the law (or a court order or subpoena); to prevent or investigate a possible crime, such as fraud or identity theft; to enforce our Terms and Conditions or other agreements that govern your use of this Site; or to protect the rights, property or safety of our company, our users, or others.
Remember The Risks Whenever You Use The Internet
While we do our best to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee the security of any information that you transmit to us and you are solely responsible for maintaining the secrecy of any passwords or other account information. In addition other Internet sites or services that may be accessible through our site have separate data and privacy practices independent of us, and therefore we disclaim any responsibility or liability for their policies or actions. Please contact those vendors and others directly if you have any questions about their privacy policies.
Each person assumes full responsibility and all risks arising from use of this site. Illegal use or abuse of any self-propagating programs on this site will be subject to deletion of entries. Any individual or corporation disregarding posted legal notices or cease and desist requests will be subject to full legal action as allowed by city, county, state and/or federal laws.
Any and all personal information provided to CORD through this site is provided on a voluntary basis. Unless expressly stated to the contrary, and in most instances, posting of such information constitutes approval to allow such information to be available to third parties. Unless otherwise expressly stated, no confidential relationship is established when any user of this site voluntarily provides comments, e-mail addresses, and/or other information to CORD or posts the same in conference rooms, on profile pages, or in other interactive programs and features that may be developed and placed on-line from time-to-time. Such information shall be considered non-confidential, and CORD shall be free to reproduce, publish, or otherwise use such information for any purposes whatsoever.
Site visitors agree to use this web site only for lawful purposes and are prohibited from posting any unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, obscene or otherwise objectionable material of any kind on this site. Use of this site constitutes agreement to abide by the policies expressed here. Policies and notices are subject to change at any time and will be in effect upon placement on the website. Web site visitors and users are advised to check on these pages in the future for updates and changes.